Monday, June 10, 2013

Celebrating the Small Steps

In a big thing like international adoption, you have to celebrate every small step of progress. Today, we received our approval to adopt from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. (For those of you who speak adoptionese our I800A was approved by USCIS on Friday and we received our I797 in the mail today!) For those of you who aren't familiar with all this adoption jargon, it just means that the US government has given us the initial approval to adopt children from another country.

Seriously, USCIS, I800A, dossier, apostilled....I think I will write an adoption dictionary/encyclopedia when we are finished with our adoption to explain all these terms for families who decide to adopt. For us, each step of the adoption brings new terms to learn. Thankful for a good agency to guide us through this adoption maze! Of course by the time I finished writing and publishing such a book, it would be out of date because adoption laws and regulations are constantly changing...

What is next: 
I was so happy to receive our approval notice because it was the last document needed to complete our dossier (adoption paper work). I mailed a notarized copy of it to our agency today and they should have it by Wednesday! Our agency will finish preparing our dossier (adoption paperwork) and have it sent to Bulgaria. We hope it will be ready to send to Bulgaria for translation this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment