Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Guest Post: Just One Makes a Difference by Nancy Barlow


Just one makes a difference

(Photo courtesy of Life for relief and development)


This child drew a picture on the floor of his Momma for comfort. Look at the one arm up to hold him.
BREAKS MY HEART!
The truth is I am the same as you.
Except, maybe I don't go to church as often as you. 
Except, I am not a good Christian (but I do try) and some days I am not as nice as I should be.
Except, I have some major selfish moments where I take a bath for 30 minutes to unwind.
Except, we don't make great money compared to the rest of the USA, but we do compared to the world.
The difference people see is when I was asked to adopt, I said yes. Not because we are special or different, just because I knew that the love I had even if I am not a perfect parent, is better than not having a mommy and daddy.
I said yes so at least one child would truly know the love of a Mommy and Daddy. I said yes even if it means we don’t get to go on that Disney cruise we really wanted to go on. I said yes, even if it means my husband’s 8 year old car has to last another 2. I said yes even if it means my car has to last 5 more years. I said yes, even if it means the plan I had for our future won’t work now. I said yes because of Allison.
Each horrible story I heard all I had to do was look at my daughter and I knew I had to say yes. If I died, would you say yes to helping Allison?  Then why do you say no to all the other children. They aren't as cute as Allison? They aren't as funny? Why would you accept my child as yours, but turn your back on a million other children.
If I hear one more time, we can't save them all I will scream! God never said one person must save them all. He commands that EACH of us do our part. If you can't adopt, volunteer with inner city children. Be a big brother or a big sister. Skip one meal a week and donate to a family that is adopting. Make a meal for a family coming home from adoption, offer to watch their other children just for two hours so Mom and Dad can have a moment alone. (A baby sitter is a luxury we can't pay for right now) Donate something to help the family raise money. Get some stuff together and donate it to a young mother.
You can help!
JUST ONE MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Nancy Barlow (http://www.tinypieceofheaven.blogspot.com)

It is me, Katie, again.
Since "going public" with our decision to adopt we have gotten many different reactions.  From wondering if we can have biological kids to congratulations and much excitement. Some people also express their desire to adopt and explain the hurdles of why they aren't.  Others express that they think it is so wonderful that we are adopting.  

I want to say what Nancy Barlow says: "The truth is I am the same as you.....when I was asked to adopt, I said yes. Not because we are special or different, just because I knew that the love I had even if I am not a perfect parent, is better than not having a mommy and daddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment